Wednesday, December 28, 2011

One of the rewards Sharon & I get from our blog

I was asked by a Bruce Baker if i could find my aunts address, for his mother as they were friends years ago,and she wanted to be reunited with her. So I have enclosed a copy if  e mails.

Bruce, i am trying to find an answer for you,I have found out there is a carer looking after my Aunt Eleanor called Betty Rau and she is on ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,    if you would like to e mail her. and i am Eleanor's nephew. I don't know any more than that, sorry i can't be more help.Stewart McCaw ( UK
 
The reunion
 
Well, today and it's marvelous weather included the first visit between Lois (nee Meadowcroft) Baker and "Aunt" Eleanor in as long as anyone could remember! However, they can remember the "good old days" and going on the train together to school. Eleanor made a point of the fact that she boarded the train before my mother and thusly "saved her a seat."

It turned out that while my mother attended Friends Select School in Philadelphia from the first grade on, Eleanor began her time there in 7th grade (probably age 13). The overall repartee was better than expected and nearly as good as could be hoped for........even though they have 'ONLY' known each other for just shy of 80 years!

Eleanor said she was born in 1918, as was my mother, but my mother disputed (in a friendly way) Eleanor's claim to that statement (as a friendly aside), likely due to wanting to be older instead of younger than Eleanor (Lois' birthday is December 30th).

They spoke of their parents, travel and a good bit more until my mother decided she needed to leave and save more for later, as Eleanor wouldn't eat while my mother was there. The visit lasted under an hour. Good banter, laughs, brief stories and Eleanor's unique brand of humor shone through. (Frankly, I may have enjoyed the visit more than my Mom!) It was a pleasure to meet Eleanor's caregiver Irene, as well.

Both friends seemed to me to elevate each others faculties above what must be boringly common in their typical day-to-day existences, so a return visit will be made as soon as possible and with my wife along to meet Eleanor for the first time. As one would expect, there is little resemblance now to the pictures of both ladies at my parents wedding in 1945, but the delight at the reconnection today was clearly evident......

I wish to thank you all for the help in this reuniting. I feel it was a success and well worth repeating as long as they are both willing and able.

Best regards,

Bruce
 
My Reply

Bruce, Thank you for your e mail, i was please we could be of assistance to you. and it sounds like the reunion went well. and will flourish once more. I am sure i am able to speak for Sharon and Hilda, we are all very pleased with the out come of your family interests. We were also all pleased to be part of it. kind regards stewart




 

 

No comments: